Category Construction Term Glossary
- Cabinet Construction
- Cabinet Box cabinets may be either face-frame or frameless in construction.
Each option provides features and drawbacks.
- Cabinet Finish
- Cabinets may be finished with opaque paint or transparent finishes such as
lacquer or varnish. A variety of decorative finishes is available.
- Cabinet Hardware
- Hardware is the term used for metal fittings incorporated into a cabinet
extraneous of the wood or engineered wood substitute and the counter top.
- Solid wood is more costly than plywood which is more costly than particle board
or other similar sheet goods that need to be specially protected from prolonged
exposure to moisture. Solid wood is suitable for cabinet elements that show,
such as face frames, doors, drawer fronts, etc.
- Laminate Counter Tops
- A very common style is the formed plastic laminate counter top. These are
factory-produced with a single thin sheet of laminate curved and glued over
medium-density fiberboard or other similar base material.