Category Construction Term Glossary
- The Concrete Factor
- Concrete is one of the main building products used in the construction of a house. Depending on where the concrete is
used in the construction process, it can become a very critical factor in the overall structural strength of the house.
- Bull Float
- Bull float is tool that is used to level concrete after it has initially been poured. It is put together in sections.
On the lower end, there is a rectangular piece attached.
- Foundation Rebar
- Rebar refers to steel rods, which are put in footings and grade beams in a concrete foundation. These could
vary in size depending on the structure and what size foundation is being poured.
- Compaction refers to the act of compacting soil to a specified density. Normally under foundations this would be a value
of 95% compaction.
- Calculating Concrete
- This house is 60 feet long and 25 feet wide. The area of this house section is 1500 square feet. The area of
the garage is 500 square feet. The front porch is 40 feet long and 5 feet wide and has an area of 200 square
- Concrete Jitterbug
- In Construction Terminology , the term "jitterbug" is a Construction Term for a tool that is used when
- Concrete Slump
- One factor to be considered when pouring concrete is the slump. The individual from the testing company will take a
sample of concrete in order to determine the slump.
- Concrete Form Boards
- Foundation Term Form boards are boards that are used to form up or build the form used to hold in the
concrete until it has set up and become hard.
- Foundation First Task
- The location of the foundation is determined by the site survey or plot plan. The plot plan will show all property line
setbacks, dimensions, easements, and any other normally determined by flood plane restrictions or city and county codes.
The surveyor can provide a marker or benchmark that serves restrictions that might be required.
- Board Feet adds two other dimensions to calculating the cost of materials. Lumber suppliers sometimes sell
their lumber per thousand board feet.
- Diamond Blade Cutting
- Knowing what factors that can affect your concrete cutting performance is the first step