Types of House Windows

House Window

Category Construction Glossary
Types of House Windows
Circle Top  
A window having a curved (radius) top and a flat bottom. The shape of the window is an exact
half-circle with the height being exactly one-half of the width. Also called circle head, half-circle
and half-round.

Bay Window
A composite of three or more windows, usually made up of a large center unit and two flanking
units at 30, 45 or 90 degree angles to the wall.

Bow Window   
An angled combination of windows in 3-, 4- or 5-lite configurations. The windows are attached
at 10-degree angles to project a more circular arced  appearance
Casement Window
A projecting window with a single sash hinged at the sides and usually opening outward like a
door and operated by a (crank) handle which turns to open or close the unit.

Clad Windows
A designation given to products whose exposed exterior surfaces are sheathed with specially
formed aluminum.
Dormer Window
A space which protrudes from the roof of a house, usually including one or more windows

Double Hung     
House Window Term Double Hung Window has two operable sashes. A wood window
normally has two operating sashes.

Tempered Glass
Glass with a surface compression of not less than 10,000 psi, or an edge compression of not
less than 9,700 psi. When broken, the glass breaks into pebbles instead of pieces with sharp
Egress Window
a window with specific release hardware and minimum clear opening size to allow occupants to
escape through the window in case of a fire
Eyebrow Window   
Today, used to identify certain arch-topped or radius-topped windows that have a curved top
like the shape of a human eyebrow.

Fixed Window
A window which is non-operative
Flanker Window
The designation given to units that flank a center picture unit in a double or triple combination
or bay window

Half Screen   
A screen which does not cover the entire opening of a window. Used on the bottom half of
single hung units and on the operating sash of single sliders.

Insulated glass  
A combination of two or more panes of glass with hermetically sealed space between the panes
of glass. This space may or may not be filled with an inert gas, such as argon. The purpose of
bonding the glass panes in this fashion is to increase the insulating properties of the glass
Mull Strip
A major structural vertical or horizontal member between window units or sliding glass doors.
Obscured Glass
Any textured glass (frosted, etched, fluted, ground, etc.) used for privacy or decorative effects

Operable Window
A window that can be opened for ventilation

Palladian Window   
A large, arch-top window flanked by smaller windows on each side.

Picture Window
A large, fixed window framed so that it is usually, but not always, longer horizontally than
vertically to provide a wide view

Single Hung  
House Window Term Single Hung Window
is a window which has only one operable sash.
As in an aluminum window, the only sash that is operable is the bottom sash.  

Side Lite
A fixed, often narrow, glass window next to a door opening
Circle Window
Mulled Window
Picture Window
Single Hung
Horizontal Slider
Circle Top
Circle Window
Picture Window
Mulled Window
Single Hung
Horizontal Slider
Elliptical Transom
Slider Window
A window in which the sash move horizontally. Sliders are available in a 2- or 3-lite
configuration, with the 3-lite having operable end vents.
Thermal Break  
The addition of a thermal insulating material between two thermally conductive materials.

Tilt Window
A single or double-hung window whose operable sash can be tilted into the room to be washed.

Glass with a material added to give the glass a light and/or heat reducing capability and color.
A small window that fits over the top of a door or window, primarily for additional light and
aesthetic value.
True Divided Lite
A term which refers to windows in which multiple individual panes of glass or lights are
assembled in the sash using muntins